Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My Football Picks for Week 6

What an exciting week number 5 was! A few upsets there with the Packers, Chargers, and Bills. No one expected the Bills to give the Cowboys such a game, and no one expected the Chargers to stomp so badly on the Broncos. And, no one expected the Bears to beat the Packers either. So now the undefeated teams are down to 3: Patriots, Colts, and Cowboys. That absolutely goes down to 2 this week when the Cowboys host the Patriots, while the Colts are on a bye. The winless teams remain at 3 with the Saints, Dolphins, and Rams. Five teams have only suffered 1 loss: Steelers, Titans, Jaguars, Redskins and Packers. Six teams have only had 1 win: Bills, Jets, Bengals, Eagles, Vikings, and Falcons. The remaining 15 teams fall in between with either 2 or 3 wins or losses. I had a nice beginners luck start with my picks last week, my score so far at 10-4. How will I do this week, when the competition seems much more fierce?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE: Sunday Afternoon - Well, so far I'm 6-2. I really thought the Titans would win over the fairly decimated Bucs, but the Bucs rallied at home and won. The Chiefs also won at home against the Bengals. So far I'm on target for my afternoon picks, but it's early yet, just starting the 2nd quarter and a LOT can change between now and the end of the games! I'll update this evening after the night game.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE: Sunday Night - What's the difference between men and boys? 21 points, this week, when My Beloved Patriots hustled the Cowboys to a 48-27 victory in Texas Stadium. Sorry Sherri! Your boyfriend played well though, much better than last week. (You can read my husband's post for a little more info about this game.) Oh, and prepare to leave TO's house hungry - all he's serving is popcorn and sour grapes. And now, there are 2 ... undefeateds that is. The Chargers LT made 4 touchdowns against the Raiders, and with the Cardinals' Warner getting injured in the 1st quarter against the Panthers, it gave Testaverde a win. That would be 21 seasons straight now that he's had a win. Way to go Vinnie! And the "totally defeateds" drop from 3 to 2, now that the Saints have won one. Was that a surprise or what? I thought for sure the Seahawks wouldn't let the Saints walk all over them, but they did. So now I'm 8-4 so far this week - we'll see what happens tomorrow night when the Giants travel to Atlanta!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE: Monday Night - Well, no surprise, the Giants beat the Falcons, despite a total of 3 turnovers, 2 being Manning-thrown interceptions. So, this week my record stands at 9-4, and 19-8 total for the season, beginning week 5. Should I go for week 7? Comments? Thoughts?

games at 1 pm Eastern

  • Vikings 34 @ Bears 31 - Vikings
  • Dolphins 31 @ Browns 41 - Browns
  • Redskins 14 @ Packers 17 - Packers
  • Texans 17 @ Jaguars 37 - Jaguars
  • Bengals 20 @ Chiefs 27 - Bengals
  • Titans 10 @ Buccaneers 13 - Titans
  • Rams 3 @ Ravens 22 - Ravens
  • Eagles 16 @ Jets 9 - Eagles

games at 4:05 or 4:15 Eastern

  • Panthers 25 @ Cardinals 10 - Cardinals
  • Patriots 48 @ Cowboys 27 - Patriots
  • Raiders 14 @ Chargers 28 - Chargers

Sunday night 8:15 pm Eastern

  • Saints 28 @ Seahawks 17 - Seahawks

Monday night 8:30 Eastern

  • Giants 31 @ Falcons 10 - Giants

Byes this week: Bills, Broncos, Lions, Colts, Steelers, and 49ers

The Dolphins, Rams, and Saints remain winless so far. I don't think that will change with week 6 either. The Patriots remain undefeated going to Texas Stadium, but so are the Cowboys, who will be at home. This game is a tough call for me because I really want my beloved Pats to spank the Cowboys, and I know this game is going to be vicious. Only one of these teams can remain undefeated going into week 7. Who will it be? My money's on Brady's Bunch, especially after seeing how well the 1-3 Bills handled Dallas. Many really tough calls this week. Even though the Bears pulled it out against the Packers in wk 5, I'm going to go with the Vikings because the Bears got lucky, I think, and since the Vikings are coming off a bye, I think they'll win. I like the Browns because I think the Dolphins will remain winless this week. Frankly, I would love to see them go 0-16. Wouldn't that make a nice 35th anniversary bookend to the '72 Dolphins? No offense to any Dolphins fans out there. I'm sure you hate the Pats just as much. ;) I like the Jaguars over the Texans because even though the Texans are really starting to gel, I think the Jags are a stronger team. Cardinals over Panthers - this is one of the toughest calls I think. Both teams have lost their quarterback for several weeks and are relying on back-ups, Warner and Carr. I think Warner is the stronger of the 2 though and so will go with the Cardinals at home. I pick the Pack because I think they're smarting after being knocked off the undefeated pedestal by the Bears in wk 5, and will want to take it out on the Skins and remain the leaders of the NFC North. I choose the Bengals over the Chiefs. This one is a super tough call for me but I think that since the Bengals are coming off a bye, they'll be strong enough to win over the Chiefs. I think the Bucs are just too weak right now to beat the Titans. And does anyone really think the Eagles aren't going to come out fighting from their bye week after losing so badly to the Giants in wk 4? Jets will fall victim partly because of that, and partly because they're just playing so badly. Chargers over Raiders because they seem to have found themselves, at least against division rivals, and now they're really fired up after pounding the Broncos 41-3 in wk 5. Seahawks over Saints. C'mon, 0-5 Saints? Not a chance against the Seahawks at Qwest Field. Giants over Falcons because they really seem to be on a roll to me, and the Falcons, not so much - at least not an upwardly mobile roll. More like a downward spiral.

So those are my picks. Like I said earlier, I think I got pretty lucky last week. Will it hold for this week? Thoughts? Opinions? Please share!

Happy Football!

Go Patriots!

No comments: