Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Football Picks Week 5 -

I got a free subscription to a magazine for filling out a survey, and decided to get Sports Illustrated for my husband. But I end up reading it more than he does. Not that he doesn't like sports, but ... he doesn't like sports. He likes football. So, when SI has them, he reads the football articles, but that's it. Personally, I don't like sports either. But I get so stone cold bored while sitting in our smoking room that I'll read anything, even the non-football articles in Sports Illustrated. Some stuff is sort of interesting. I like the articles by Reilly. And of course, I read the football articles. As I was browsing yesterday, I read through some guy's picks for the games, and realized he only got 2 out of 6 right. (He only made picks on 6 of Sunday's games) I, on the other hand, got 5 of those 6 right. Then I remembered that when I was little and my father would ask me, "So who do you think is going to win this game?" I did pretty well for a six year old.

I thought, on a lark, I'll start posting my own picks for the games, just to see how well I really do. It's hard to separate who you want to win from who you think will really win, but I'll do my best. Naturally, if it was up to me, the Pats would go undefeated until I die, but I know that won't happen.

Anyway, without further ado, here are my picks for week 5, Oct 7&8:

Lions @ Redskins - Lions

Browns @ Patriots - Patriots

Seahawks @ Steelers - Steelers

Cardinals @ Rams - Cardinals

Jaguars @ Chiefs - Chiefs

Panthers @ Saints - Panthers

Jets @ Giants - Giants

Dolphins @ Texans - Texans

Falcons @ Titans - Titans

Buccaneers @ Colts - Colts

Ravens @ 49ers - Ravens

Chargers @ Broncos - Broncos

Bears @ Packers - Packers

Cowboys @ Bills - Cowboys

Bengals, Raiders, Eagles, and Vikings have a bye.

Now, it needs to be said that my picks aren't really based on any skill or knowledge. They're pretty much knee-jerk reactions - gut feelings if you will. But my husband thought I should add some reasoning behind my picks. Because he asked, here are my reasons:

I think the Lions are on a roll and coming off a big win. I think they're fired up and although the Redskins are coming off a bye, I don't think they'll be able to pull it out against the Lions. I think the Pats will take it against the Browns because they're the 4/0 Pats, and the Browns are only 2/2. Plus, they're playing in Gillette. Steelers because I think they're pissed off at losing to the Cards this week and have something to prove, and the Seahawks will be the victims. Cardinals over Rams because the Cards are jacked over beating the Steelers, and the Rams are ... well, just not cutting it at 0/4. Chiefs over Jaguars - this is a tough one, but I just think the Chiefs will take it, especially since they'll be at home. I think the Chiefs are fired up over beating the Chargers this week and that will carry though to a Jaguars defeat. Panthers over Saints because the Saints just don't have it this year. For the record, I think the Saints record last year was a fluke. Giants over Jets because the Jets seem to be floundering under Mangini this year and the Giants seems to be gelling, even without Tiki. I don't think they'll have much home field advantage though because both teams are New York so I'm sure the fans will be pretty much split 50/50. And, 12 sacks against the Eagles this week. 12! Poor, sore, Donovan! Texans over Dolphins because the Dolphins are 0/4 and can't seem to connect, while the Texans seem to finally be finding their way, also home field advantage for the Texans. Titans over Falcons because the Falcons are all out of sorts over the Vick thing and don't seem to be getting it together under their new coach, plus they'll be on the road. Colts over Bucs because the Bucs, while a fairly strong team, just lost Cadillac and the Colts are 4/0 and also at home. Ravens over 49ers because the 49ers simply aren't making the grade, despite Gore. Broncos over Chargers - another tough call, but with the Broncos at home, my gut says they'll take it. Plus, I think the Chargers are pretty demoralized right now; they aren't as good as they thought they were and with a new coach, they can't seem to find their way, especially with LT getting shut down as much as he has. Packers over Bears - again, the Bears aren't as good as they thought they were either, and the Pack is on fire at 4/0. Also, they're playing at Lambeau and the Pack usually does really well at home. (Unless they're playing the Pats. ;)) The 4/0 Cowboys are also on fire and I think they'll spank the 1/3 Bills.

As of the end of week 4, there are 4 undefeated teams left: Patriots, Colts, Cowboys, and Packers. There are 3 teams who have yet to win at all: Dolphins, Rams, and Saints. Four teams are 3/1 - Steelers, Lions, Bucs, and Seahawks. Thirteen teams have won only 2 games, and 8 have won only 1. Only a quarter of the way through the season, only a quarter of the teams are dominant, the other 3/4 being just fair-to-middlin'. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that in years past, it took until about halfway through the season before the dominant teams started really shining through. It's a bit early, to me, to be predicting the Superbowl yet. Naturally I think the Pats will win it but I know the Colts will make them earn it. Peyton wants to prove he's just as good as Brady by repeating. As far as the NFC is concerned, I think there are several teams who have a good chance of going: Cowboys, Packers, Lions, Seahawks, and Cardinals all stand out to me.

If I do well in my picks, I may make this a weekly thing. If I do really well, I just may start betting! LOL Just kidding :) By all means, feel free to express your own opinion of my picks. I'm sure you'll disagree with more than one!

Happy football!

Go Patriots!

No comments: